Monday, January 18, 2010

Days 8 & 9

I can't believe I've only been here for a week! It feels so much longer than that, which is great haha. Sunday we took a bus and then a train out to Wandsworth Commons to go to church. Katie, Kierra, Brittany, and I have been assigned to a little ward out there. It took about 45/50 minutes to get there. Our Bishop is from Ghana, married an American woman from Utah, and has two of the most adorable little kids in the world. The ward was expecting us, and they kept calling us the BYUs haha. The ward members were so friendly, we even introduced ourselves during sacrament meeting. Since we'll be in the ward for a few months, and since they could use a few extra members, we've all been called to various positions. I've been called to serve as the ward music director, organist, and primary pianist haha. Sister Simmons had been playing the piano for the past couple of months, and yesterday was her last Sunday. I think it's safe to say that Bishop was pretty happy hear that I play the piano. I haven't touched the organ since I was was 13 though, so next Sunday is going to be a real treat. I really should have paid more attention when Sister Kelly was trying to teach me... I kind of have the feeling that the first few Sundays are going to be a little rough, before Sister Simmons the ward didn't even have a pianist and so they've kind of just made up their own melodies to the hymns. Correct melody or not, they sing with so much gusto that I'm sure we'll be just fine. I do need to pack a lunch next time though, because my stomach was seriously making the loudest noises I have ever heard. Today(Monday), I went to class, and we roamed around Knotting Hill for awhile. I finally bought some stamps, so if you want a postcard, birthday card, valentine's day card, or love letter leave your address in a comment or email me(caitlinstolworthy@gmail.com)! There are a ton of cute little vintage shops all over, and if you haven't ever tried a cinnamon dusted, chocolate-covered hazelnut...you should. They are so delicious. We had enchiladas for dinner tonight, and I just want to take a moment to talk about how tasty they were. Honestly, it was the best meal we have had at the centre so far. I wish we could eat enchiladas every night. Homework tonight, class tomorrow, and Stonehenge Wednesday!

Ps-On Sunday I saw the sun, hallelujah!


Pps- This video is from last week. If you don't recognize the bridge, it's the twisty one that gets destroyed in Harry Potter 6! Haha, also I really am sorry for the terrible camera job...

1 comment:

Jana said...

oh please girl, don't act like you don't know which harry potter movie that was from. i know you knew and just didn't want to sound like a dork. ahahaha.

i want a love letter, you know my address.
send one of those cinnamon hazelnut treats as well.